So, do you remember the “old days” when it was shocking that successful authors decided to jump on the bandwagon and write paranormal romance? And then there was another wave we are pretty deep into where everyone was going young adult? Well, now it looks like the Fifty Shades effect has fully kicked in, and everyone is going erotic trilogy (and some of it is also from Twilight fan-fiction. Go figure).
- Sylvia Day has seemingly dropped her Renegade Angels series (for now) in favor of her super successful Crossfire erotic trilogy. She has had a lot of success from these books, so I can’t really blame her.
- Maya Banks just signed a seven figure deal from Penguin’s Berkley books for an erotic trilogy called Breathless. Book one is called Rush, and will be out next February. Fever will follow in April, and Burn will finish it off in August.
- From the world of Twilight fan fiction which actually spawned Fifty Shades comes another erotica series, this one from author Sylvain Reynard. He scored a “substantial seven figure deal” with Penguin’s Berkley for two books, Gabriel’s Inferno and Gabriel’s Rapture, due out in print next year. Both are already available in e-format.
- In one of the stranger deals I saw, Nightshade author Andrea Cremer will be writing an erotic trilogy for adults…set in her Nightshade world. I think that is the first time I have heard of YA and erotica in the same world, but I might be wrong.
- A 1980′s series from Anne Rice, written under the pen-name A.N. Roquelaure, has been re-released. The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty’s Punishment and Beauty’s Release are apparently on the shelves now.
So, what do you think? Flash in the pan, or the next big thing? It seems to be where the money is, by the size of some of those book deals, but it isn’t really a trend I find myself getting behind. I think maybe for me, it is just that they all read the same (and this is from the chick who has a hundred versions of vampire books. Heh).