Thanks to everyone who pitched in in trying to help me with Kindle-gate. I do believe I might be onto a solution. Well, I am 90% sure I have it, but I will have to wait until I can pry the Kindle out of my father’s hands tomorrow to make sure everything works (he will be distracted watching wrestling, at full volume. Yay?) I think I will be able to take, say, 10 books or so and make them into one file, that reads like one long book, broken up by cover art and such. Once he starts reading one, he should be able to sail through to the end without the scary home button. When he gets done, I will have another monster file for him. Anyways, here is pretty much the conversation we had…
Dad: Did you figure out a way for me to get out of having to push that button?
Me: Eh, I think so. I will have to…
- Re-download books to your Kindle in a little different way
- Hook your Kindle up to my computer
- Transfer your books over to a program called Calibre
- Run them through a program to remove the DRM encryption
- Run them through Calibre to make sure everything is in e-pub format
- Run them through a program to merge them into a single file, like a giant book
- Run them through Calibre again to return them to mobi format
- Transfer that one big file from my computer back to your Kindle
Dad: That sounds easier.
Me: (mouth open)…Yes, of course. Much easier than hitting the home button.
Dad: Yeah, I think so.