Kimmy over at PagetoPremier has gotten some new scoop on the much anticipated Divergent movie. The upcoming edition of Entertainment Weekly features Tris and Four on the cover, and has an excellent article inside. I keep an eye out for this stuff, but then I don’t want to see too much so I don’t get spoiled for the movie itself. Between this, City of Bones, and the just starting Vampire Academy: Blood Sisters info, there is a lot going on. Check out Kimmy’s site for all the latest info and pictures.
1. Director Neil Burger really wanted to actually shoot the film in Chicago, and he made it happen. He says, “Every movie these days they’re like, ‘Let’s shoot this in Canada or Louisiana or Romania because it’s cheaper.’ I didn’t want digital landscapes or CGI skylines. This is great for the story and it’s great for Chicago, and it’s great for the movie”
2. Veronica Roth’s mother will have a cameo in the movie.
3. Veronica Roth was happily overwhelmed during her first set visit, saying: “I think I just stared at everything for five hours and couldn’t even form a sentence.”
4. The actors have become fast friends, and have great relationships off screen! “Shailene Woodley and Zoe Kravitz giggle together after each take. When Theo James trips on something off camera, Shailene teases him, ‘Hard day at the office, bro?’
5. Jai Courtney (Eric) has high hopes for Shailene’s future. While watching her perform on the monitor he said, “She’s going to be a big f—-ing star.”
6. Shailene Woodley doesn’t worry about the fans online who are mad about her “Tris” hair color. “Her hair has been lightened a few shades, but not enough for some Divergent devotees. ‘I don’t read any of that stuff. I actually forget there’s a fan base. But then I’ll talk to a publicist who’ll be like “If this turns out to be like Twilight or The Hunger Games this or that might happen”… but you can’t think like that.”
7. Shailene Woodley almost passed on the role of Tris Prior in Divergent! ‘”My agents were like, ‘Are you f—ing crazy?” But I said, if this movie is successful, things will change, and I don’t want that.” Woodley discussed whether she should take Divergent with both her mother, and Descendants director Alexander Payne. After a night of soul searching she decided to take the plunge.’
8. Shailene Woodley says, “What I like about Tris is that she isn’t perfect. She’s not a super hero – she’s not Katniss. She doesn’t know how to shoot a bow and arrow, she’s not a badass by nature,” she says. “And I really responded to her and Four’s relationship. It’s authentic and human and genuine.”
9. Shailene Woodley says Theo is “the perfect Four”! She adds, “We’re not into the industry and have separate lives outside of it. That’s refreshing. I don’t know what I would do if Four was played by someone who cared what he looked like and spent more time in front of the mirror than I do.
10. Theo James was suggested to the filmmakers only after many younger actors didn’t make the cut for the part of Four. “I didn’t know they’d been through the rigmarole for a while. We talked about Four having a kind of strength and centeredness that is a bit older.”
11. Theo James says, “A fan base is kind of fun and exciting – it means people are invested emotionally. But – and everyone probably says this – you can’t buy into the hype because then you’re f–ed. Also, I’m a big believer of it’s not something until it’s something. You know? There’s no guarantee of anything.
12. Theo conducted this interview for Entertainment Weekly in an American accent. When it was mentioned to him that he was the only British actor that did this, he grinned and whispered: “Pussies. All of them!”
13. The journalist describes the much anticipated ferris-wheel hip-touch: “The look they exchange is so fizz-filled and loaded you can feel it even by the subpar light of a small monitor.”
14. Neil Burger describes Theo and Shailene’s performances for the Ferris wheel scene: “They’re in a precarious position. They’re under physical stress and they have to perform – and they’re doing it.”
15. Will Neil Burger be on board for Insurgent? “The director jokingly looks around the mess hall for [the producers]. “I think I am?” he laughs. “Can you let me know if you find out?”